These vegan breaded zucchini fries make the perfect appetizer or side dish to any meal. What’s better, they are baked, not fried, and still so tasty! They require no eggs or flour, just some plant milk, spices, and breadcrumbs. These breaded zucchini sticks are so much easier to make, and so delicious.
Ingredients needed to make these vegan breaded zucchini fries
For this recipe, you will need:
- Zucchini: I normally use 2-3 and eat them throughout the week. If you would prefer to make more, you can double this recipe and use 4 zucchinis.
- Plant milk of choice: I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can use any other kind of plant milk. Just make sure that is it unsweetened, otherwise your zucchini fries will be very sweet!
- Breadcrumbs: This is the coating of the zucchini fries. You can use your own homemade breadcrumbs or purchase some.
- Spices: I used a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I kept it simple, but you can add in any other spices you love!
I love meal prepping these vegan oven-baked breaded zucchini fries for the week. They are great to have as a side to help you eat more vegetables throughout the day. They even taste great as a snack/appetizer with a dip like hummus or a vegan aioli sauce.
Tips to make the perfect zucchini fries
- Slice and press zucchini to drain excess water. Zucchini’s are a very watery vegetable, and they need to ‘sweat‘, or be drained of any excess liquid before cooking. It’s similar to making a zucchini cake – you use a cheese cloth to squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini. For this recipe, it’s important to cut and slice your zucchini into small rectangles, place them in a bowl and layer them on top of each other, then take a plate face down and place it over your zucchinis. Make your zucchini’s stay pressed in the bowl for at least one hour.
- Dip zucchini in milk, then breadcrumbs. There are no eggs in this recipe, so you do not need to dip your sliced zucchini in egg, flour, and breadcrumbs. Just two easy steps!
- Add in a few spices to your plant milk. Some breadcrumbs from the store have a few spices already added in them, but I recommend adding some pepper, garlic, and onion powder to your plant milk.
- Garnish with dried parsley and dried chives. This extra garnish gives them a nice added flavour!
How to store your vegan baked zucchini fries
You can place your zucchini fries in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. You can also place them in a container and keep them in the freezer for up to one month.
If you’re looking for more delicious vegan appetizers, try my avocado hummus! It’s also a delicious dip to enjoy these breaded zucchini fries with.
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post makes me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**