No matter how old you get or how your day went, a muffin can always cheer you up. Lucky for you, you’ll be able to make your day better with this vegan banana bread recipe without any guilt! This recipe is healthy and naturally sweetened with dates and bananas. It’s a great recipe to make if you have super ripe bananas on hand and aren’t sure what to do with them! Now let’s get into the recipe!
The first thing I did was take my food processor and soak my dates in some hot water for about 10 minutes to make them a little softer for blending. Then I drained them, removed the pits, and tossed them into my food processor with 2 bananas and a bit of hot water. Then I added in some whole wheat flour and oats to give it a dough consistency.
After that I added in the remaining ingredients which are peanut butter (or any nut butter of choice will do), baking powder, baking soda, a flax egg that I prepared and let sit for 5 minutes, some almond milk, hemp hearts, and cinnamon. Once everything was processed together, I lined some muffin trays and poured in the batter. Once the batter was poured in, I took another small ripe banana and cut up slices to put on each muffin, then topped each one with some sugar-free, peanut-free, chocolate chips (I use the Enjoy Life brand!)
I let the muffins cook at 350 degrees farenheit for about 20 minutes, removed them from the oven and let them cool down. They are best enjoyed warm!
You can also add in chopped walnuts, almonds, etc to the batter if you’d like! Or you can even exclude the extra banana on top, or add some maple syrup to sweeten it a little more; the possibilities are endless!
I hope you make and enjoy this recipe, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you remake these @riris_recipes!
Banana Chocolate Muffins (Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free)
Servings: 12 muffins
Cook Time: 20 minutes at 350ºF
- 2 small bananas + 1 for topping
- 3 dates (pitted)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp flaxseed + 2 tbsp hot water) (or you may use a real egg)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or nut milk of choice)
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp hemp hearts (optional)
- Chocolate chips (As topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Prepare flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, take 3 dates and soak in hot water for 5-10 minutes (can omit this step if dates are soft/ using medjool dates)
- In food processor, process dates, hot water, and banana until combined.
- Then, add in remaining ingredients except 3rd banana and chocolate chips, and process until ingredients are well combined.
- Once muffin batter consistency is reached, line or spray a muffin tray and pour batter into each mould.
- Once all the batter is poured into muffin moulds, top each muffin with a banana slice and chocolate chips, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!