If you clicked this blog post because you saw the word hummus, then we are officially besties, and you have great taste in food. Hummus is probably one of my favourite spreads to pair with carrots or crackers as a snack, or to use as a dip with my meals. Being able to make it on my own made me feel accomplished and urged me to share it with all of you, because it is SO delicious and easy to make (did i mention no-bake?!)
I used a can of chickpeas and a can of sliced beets, so there was no cooking of beans or boiling of beets involved (which made the hummus creation process much quicker). However, feel free to attempt cooking your own beans and boiling one beet if that’s what you prefer. I have not tested it out, but I’m sure it will turn out the same!
Hummus is so great because it is so versatile and customizable. If you aren’t a fan of beets, you can simply omit them and blend all the other ingredients together to make plain hummus and add in whatever spices you like. Now let’s jump in to this recipe!
If you make this recipe, tag me in your post on Instagram @riris_recipes so I can share your lovely recreations!
Beet Hummus (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Cook Time: No bake!
Servings: 6-8 people
- 1 can sliced beets, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and drain beets and chickpeas and place into a food processor.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined (a hummus/spreadable texture forms).
- Once well blended, transfer hummus to a glass container, close lid, and let chill in fridge until ready to enjoy, or eat immediately!
- Enjoy with bread, crackers, or veggies (carrots, cucumbers, etc)