Crispy smashed potatoes – the ultimate side dish to add to any meal. They’re so easy to make and such a fun twist on regular mashed or boiled potatoes. These potatoes are a fun way to add your own seasoning or cheese on top and really make this dish your own. Smashed potatoes make a great side dish or appetizer for anyone who is vegan or gluten-free too!
How to smash your potatoes
I used one bag of small potatoes from the Little Potato Company and boiled them for about 25 minutes, or until you can pierce them with a fork. You don’t want the potatoes to be too mushy otherwise they will break when you try to smash them. Once they are boiled, you can place them in a plate and smash each potato individually and place them directly on a baking tray. Once they are all on the baking tray, season them with salt, pepper, turmeric, parsley, onion powder, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, grated cheese, and any other spices you’d like. I then drizzled some olive oil all over the potatoes and placed them to roast in the oven for 25 minutes at 350ºF.
Tips to Make the Perfect Smashed Potatoes
The best way to smash your potatoes is by using a milk frothing pitcher because it has a handle you can use to control the pressure you are applying on the potato. Otherwise you can use a regular glass that you would use to drink water, juice, etc out of. Or if you prefer, the back of a spoon could also work to smash your potatoes.
These crispy smashed potatoes are:
- Soft on the side, crispy on the outside
- Super flavourful
If you’re looking for another delicious side dish to make for Thanksgiving or to meal prep for the week, try my vegan cauliflower stuffing!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes (V, GF)
- 1 bag of small potatoes (any colour/type of potato works – as long as they are small!
- Salt and pepper, to taste)
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tbsp vegan shredded cheese (can simply sprinkle a bit of cheese on each potato – no need to be precise with this)
- Olive oil, for drizzling on top of potatoes
- Fill a pot with water and place it on the stove on high heat and let it boil. While water bowls, rinse and drain your potatoes.
- Once water begins to boil, toss potatoes in the pot and lower the heat slightly (to medium-high heat) and let potatoes boil for about 25 minutes, or until you can pierce a fork through the potatoes.
- Once potatoes are boiled, drain water from the pot and place potatoes in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF while you begin flattening your potatoes.
- On a cutting board or small plate, take a cup, spoon, milk frother, (or anything you will use to flatten your potatoes) and one potato, and gently apply pressure to the potato. Make sure to not flatten the potato completely, about a quarter of an inch thick. Place your potato on a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat step 5 for all your potatoes. Once all potatoes are on your baking tray, sprinkle all of your spices and cheese on your potatoes and lightly drizzle olive oil over your potatoes.
- Place tray in the oven for 25 minutes and bake at 350ºF or until potatoes are crispy and cheese has slightly melted.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post make me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**