Easy vegan chickpea quinoa salad is the perfect spring dinner idea. While the weather starts to warm up, you won’t want to spend hours cooking in the kitchen. This quinoa salad recipe is the perfect vegan dinner idea or healthy side dish, and makes for delicious leftovers during the week. All you need to make this is some quinoa, chickpeas (or any bean you’d like), some frozen veggies, garlic, and spices!
I love one-pot recipes because there are less dishes to wash, and everything can just be combined into one (however, less dishes to wash is the real reason why I think we all love one-pot recipes – I know I do!) Aside from doing less dishes, it’s a great, easy vegan dinner packed with vegetables and protein. Quinoa is an incredible grain that is full of fibre and protein. Plus, the chickpeas add an extra protein boost. Quinoa is one of my favourite grains because it’s filling and gives me an added boost of protein. Especially in vegan meals, you want to optimize your protein intake and make sure you are making healthy and satisfying meals.
Ingredients needed to make this quinoa salad recipe
- Quinoa. The main ingredient in this healthy quinoa salad. You can use another type of grain, but this is what makes the recipe gluten-free!
- Olive Oil. This will be added to the quinoa salad mixture to give it some flavour and keep the quinoa fluffy.
- Garlic Cloves. For added flavour and health benefits (hello, immune booster!)
- Spinach. To add some greens to this dish! You can add fresh or frozen spinach. I personally use the frozen spinach nuggets, but either works.
- Frozen Veggies. I used a mix of peas, carrots corn, but you can add whatever you’d like. If you want to add some fresh vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers, you can definitely add this to the quinoa salad!
- Chickpeas. I used canned chickpeas and simply added it to my quinoa mixture. You can use any other type of beans you’d like such as black beans, lentils, etc.
- Spices. Salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and nutritional yeast are the spices I added to this dish. You can add whichever spices you’d like to the mix!
Tips to make the best easy vegan chickpea quinoa salad
- Let quinoa absorb all water in the pot. When cooking your quinoa, let the water boil then add in your quinoa. Stir occasionally and close the lid of your pot so the quinoa can absorb all of the water. After 15-20 minutes, the quinoa should have absorbed all of the water and be fluffy.
- Cook your frozen veggies first in your pan. Once the quinoa is cooked, leave it aside in the pot and cook your frozen veggies first in a large pan. Once the frozen spinach, peas, carrots, and corn are cooked, add in your cooked quinoa.
- Add your spices last. I love adding my spices last because everything is completely mixed together, and now you can taste test to see if you need to add any more spices. If you add to much salt, pepper, etc. to your vegetable mixture and quinoa, then add them together, it will be too salty. So we save the spices for last!
How to store your quinoa salad
Place your vegan chickpea quinoa salad in an airtight plastic or glass container. This meal can stay in the fridge for up to one week. You can freeze it as well, and it will last about one to two months.
If you love this recipe, try making my crispy smashed potatoes! They make a perfect easy side dish to enjoy with any meal. They’re soft in the middle, crispy on the outside, and topped with a mix of savoury spices and vegan cheese!
Easy Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Salad
For the quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
For the vegetable mixture
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 6 spinach nuggets (or 2-3 cups fresh spinach)
- 3 cups frozen peas, carrots, and corn mix (or any frozen veggie mix of choice)
- 1 cup water, gradually added (add as much needed so veggies don't stick and veggies and quinoa do not get dry)
- 1 can chickpeas (540ml can, about 2 cups cooked if you wish to cook them yourself)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
How to cook quinoa:
- In a medium-sized pot, add 2 cups of water and place on high heat. Let water come to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and add in 1 cup quinoa. Place lid over the pot and let cook for 15-20 minutes, (stirring occasionally) or until quinoa absorbs all the water.
- Once quinoa is cooked, set aside and leave it in the pot with the lid closed.
How to cook chickpea vegetable mixture:
- In a large pan, add olive oil and garlic and let simmer on medium heat. Add in frozen spinach and peas, carrots and corn and let cook for about 20-25 minutes. Add in about 1/4 cup of water at a time so the veggies don't stick to the pan. Continue to add water if veggies are dry or sticking to the pan.
- Once frozen vegetables are cooked, add in chickpeas and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in quinoa and stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add in all your spices and stir everything together. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat, place in a serving bowl and enjoy!
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post makes me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**