Easy vegan rice and vegetables recipe is such an easy, delicious and gluten-free dinner recipe to make any night of the week. A mouthful to say and eat! This rice has lots of fibre, delicious vegetables, and your favourite protein! I usually like to add in lentils or vegan ground meat to make this rice more filling.
What kind of rice do I use for this easy rice and vegetables recipe?
I love using brown rice for this because I prefer the texture and taste, but you can definitely use any type of rice you’d like. Since you will be boiling the rice in a pot first, it really does not alter or change the end result of this recipe! Regular white rice or jasmine rice can work. The only thing I do not recommend is using sticky rice for making risotto. This is because it alters the texture and consistency of the dish.
Which vegetables can I use?
I love using simple frozen bags of peas and carrots or spinach. I sometimes add fresh zucchini or peppers, but you can customize your veggies to add in whatever you like! As I mentioned before, you can add in some protein of choice. Personally, I love using canned lentils or any other type of canned bean like navy beans or black beans. Or if you love using a vegan meat substitute, you can use a vegan ground meat package!
This easy vegan rice and vegetables recipe is the perfect side dish to make for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other holiday! It is also just as delicious to enjoy during the week. If you’re looking for a similar recipe to make like this one but not with rice, check out my vegan one-pot veggie, bean, and barley recipe.
Easy Vegan Rice and Vegetables Recipe
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked (can use any rice you like!)*
- 3 tbsp olive oil, to drizzle in your pan
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 package vegan ground meat (can use beans instead like lentils)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Fill a medium-sized pot 3/4 full with water, turn on high heat, and let water come to a boil.
- Once water is boiled, add in 2 cups uncooked rice and close the lid. Let the rice absorb the water and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Stir rice occasionally to ensure rice does not stick. Once rice is cooked, drain water out of the pot and rinse rice with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large pan, drizzle in some olive oil. Turn stove on medium heat and add in frozen peas and carrots and your zucchini. (add in any other vegetables you want to add at this step). Add in a little bit of water to make sure vegetables do not stick to the pan and stir frequently. Let vegetables cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once veggies are almost fully cooked, add in your vegan ground meat (or beans) and break up meat in the pan and stir while letting it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add in rice to the veggie mix and stir to combine rice with vegetables. Add in all your spices and continue to stir to mix in seasoning. If you see veggies starting to stick, add more water.
- Once veggies, rice, and meat (or beans) are combined and cooked, turn off the heat, transfer rice to serving dish and enjoy!
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post make me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**