One pot kale bean butternut squash couscous with cranberries and pistachios is the perfect, easy, and delicious dinner recipe to make any night of the week. It’s filled with nutritious savoury vegetables like kale and butternut squash, and has a nice sweet flavour from the dried cranberries. It also has some protein inside from the beans! The crushed pistachios give this dish a nice crunch. All of these flavours combined makes this couscous so delicious! It is also a great recipe to meal prep for the entire week.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this one pot kale bean butternut squash couscous
- Couscous: This is the star of the meal. I used regular couscous, not pearled. You can use pearled couscous if you’d like, but I prefer the smaller one for this recipe. And a tip to make your couscous extra fluffy is to add a tablespoon of vegan butter once your couscous is cooked to make sure it’s extra fluffy!
- Roasted Butternut Squash: The butternut squash adds an extra veggie and so much flavour and warmth from the spices and being oven roasted. It gives this couscous dish some crispiness!
- Sautéed Kale: Every dish needs a green in it! I sauteed this in a pan before adding in the other veggies with some minced garlic to add some extra flavour.
- Black Beans: This couscous dish needed some protein to make it a balanced meal! We have our grain, veggies, healthy fats from the pistachios, and protein! You can add in any other bean you’d like, but I love the texture of black beans.
- Dried Cranberries: Adding cranberries to this dish really makes your tastebuds experience all the flavours in this dish. I added cranberries to try and give this couscous dish an added pop of sweetness to balance out the savoury.
- Pistachios: These add a delicious crunch of flavour and some flavour mixed with the veggies and cranberries.
- Spices: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and turmeric are all needed to bring out the flavour in these ingredients.
Couscous is one of my favourite grains! I always love switching up what I eat every week. One week I’ll have rice, another week quinoa, and then couscous. I normally do the same things each time – boil my rice, quinoa or couscous, and add some veggies and spices. With this couscous I decided to spice it up and make it a little more fancy by adding a roasted butternut squash and topping it with cranberries and pistachios. These two little changes really upgraded this dish to make it feel so fancy yet simple. If you’re in a dinner rut, this meal can get you back on track to making delicious dinner recipes.
Tips to perfect your couscous dish
- Roast your butternut squash first. It takes about 40-45 minutes for the squash to roast, so letting it cook in the oven while you prepare your couscous and veggies on the stove top is a great way to save time.
- Add butter to your cooked couscous. I boil water in a pot and add about 2 tbsp of olive oil to the boiled water, then add in the couscous. Let it cook for 5 minutes or as directed on package, then add in about 1 tablespoon of vegan butter to keep your couscous fully.
- Sauté kale in a pan with minced garlic first. I add some olive oil to a pan, then add in about 2-3 cloves of minced garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add in your kale and let it sauté for about 10 minutes. Then, add in your butternut squash, beans, couscous, and spices to mix all the ingredients together.
- Add in dried cranberries and crushed pistachios after everything is mixed together. Once you have added all your ingredients to your pan and turned off the heat, toss in your dried cranberries and pistachios.
How to store your couscous
You can place your one pot kale butternut squash couscous in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. If you want to freeze this couscous you can place it in an airtight container and put it in the freezer for up to one month.
If you’re looking for more easy one pot meals, my easy vegan rice and vegetables recipe is so easy and delicious to meal prep for the week!
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post make me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**