There’s something so comforting about a veggie, bean, and barley meal during the fall time. The mix of warm foods, beans, and a hearty grain like barley, makes this an amazing and delicious comfort meal. Not to mention you can make in one pot and takes under one hour to make.
Main Ingredients Needed for Veggie, Bean, and Barley Recipe
You will need some cooked barley, navy beans (or any bean of choice), vegan veggie ground meat (I use Yves veggie ground – optional to add this in, but it’s a great vegan protein boost!) and a mixture of all your favourite veggies! I love using a mix of fresh and frozen. I used frozen peas and carrots as well as some frozen spinach nuggets (you can use fresh!) and some fresh kale. This recipe would also be delicious with some edamame, bell peppers, or any other veggie you love! This barley recipe is really so customizable with any bean or vegetable you love, and it’s all made in one pot!
If you’re like me and have always found trouble figuring out what to do with barley, I hope you try out this recipe and enjoy it! Simple, easy, and delicious meals that are packed with nutrients don’t have to be complicated, and that’s why I am sharing this with you all! This barley recipe can stay in the fridge for up to one week and makes a very large quantity. It’s great to make as a meal prep recipe so you can reheat it and eat it all week long.
One-Pot Veggie, Bean, and Barley Recipe (Vegan)
- 6 frozen spinach nuggets (or about 3 cups fresh spinach)
- 3 cups fresh kale
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 small zucchini, grated (optional)
- 1 pack vegan ground meat (optional but great protein boost)
- 1 can navy beans (about 2 cups if you cook them yourself)
- 2 cups barley, cooked *
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil (to drizzle in the pan)
- Fill a medium-sized pot with water, and cook about 1/2-1 cup of barley as directed on package. Once cooked, set aside.
- Drizzle 3 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and turn heat on medium-high.
- Add in frozen spinach and frozen peas and carrots and let cook for about 5 minutes or until they are almost completely thawed out.
- Next, add in all the fresh veggies (kale and zucchini) and your can of beans. Add a little bit of water if veggies begin to stick/to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Stir frequently and let cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add in all of your spices, then add in the veggie ground meat. Use a wooden spatula to break up the veggie ground into very small pieces. Keep stirring and adding water if necessary to prevent sticking, another 10 minutes.
- Once veggies and beans are almost completely cooked, add in 2 cups of cooked barley. Stir to combine all ingredients together and ensure no spices are missing (add in more salt, pepper, etc if necessary).
- Once cooked, remove from heat, place in a serving bowl, and enjoy!