There’s nothing like a fudgy, vegan, sweet potato muffin to snack on during the fall. It’s so warm, cozy, and delicious! It’s refined sugar-free (not including the topping) and is made without oil! All it takes is some boiled sweet potatoes, flour, applesauce, and maple syrup as the main ingredients to make these delicious sweet potato muffins.
The crumble for these muffins consists of brown sugar, vegan butter, almond flour, cinnamon, and oats. Adding this crumble is recommended since it adds a sweetness to the muffins. The muffins themselves are not that sweet, so the crumble adds a sweet cinnamon flavour.
Pre-Baking Tip For Your Sweet Potato Muffins
To get the perfect amount of batter in each muffin mould, I love using a cookie scooper! It always ensures you get an even amount of batter so that all your muffins are the same size!
How long do they keep?
You can keep these muffins in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 1.5 weeks. You can also freeze them in a plastic air tight container for up to 2-3 months. Before eating, remove from the freezer and let them thaw out for about 20-30 minutes. Place a muffin in a napkin and reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
These sweet potato muffins are:
- Lightly sweetened
If you’re looking for another delicious fall-themed recipe, try making my vegan nutty apple blondies!
Sweet Potato Muffins (V, RSF, Oil-free)
- 1 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes, and boiled)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- Handful of chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp oats (any kind works!)
- Peel and cut 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes into cubes and boil them for approximately 20 minutes on medium-high heat, or until you can pierce them with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place in a bowl to let cool.
- Once cooled, mash your potatoes using a fork or potato masher, and measure 1 1/2 cups. Take a medium-sized bowl and pour mashed sweet potatoes in.
- Add remaining ingredients except flour and chocolate chips and stir everything together with a spatula. Once well incorporated, add in flour and stir well.
- Lastly, add in chocolate chips and stir until they are well dispersed throughout the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. While oven preheats, spray a muffin tray with cooking spray, and using a spoon or cookie scooper, scoop an even amount of dough into each muffin mould. Set aside and make crumble.
- In a small bowl, combine almond flour, brown sugar, softened vegan butter, cinnamon, and oats and mix with your hands (You can use a spoon, but using your hands is better to break apart the butter).
- Press the butter between your fingers and make sure it settles into the brown sugar and almond flour. Keep mixing until you have nice, small chunks that are ready to sprinkle on the muffins.
- Sprinkle crumble on top of muffins, then place in the oven to let cook for 45 minutes.Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.Enjoy!
**I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post make me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!**