Shepherd’s pie reminds me of my childhood, so I decided to put a spin on it and create sweet potato shepherd’s pie! I developed a love for sweet potatoes over the years, and decided to swap it in for regular potatoes – and what a flavour it adds!
This sweet potato shepherd’s pie also puts a spin on the classic because it is vegan and dairy-free! The key to making the sweet potatoes creamy is by using Earth Balance vegan butter. To that, I just add some salt to give the sweet potatoes some flavour. The rest of the flavour goes in the vegan meat and veggie filling.
This vegan shepherd’s pie is:
How to cook the vegan meat filling for your shepherd’s pie
I cooked one pack of Yves veggie ground round (vegan meat), with corn and peas. To that, I added some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I did not measure the seasoning, I just did about 2-3 shakes of it. Once the veggie ground became a darker brown colour and the frozen peas were cooked, I added in some Nafsika’s Garden shredded Pizza flavoured cheese. This brand is my absolute favourite vegan cheese, and everyone who tries it doesn’t taste that it’s vegan! It melts really well into the veggie ground, and gives it a nice, creamy, sticky cheese texture.
How to cook your sweet potato shepherd’s pie in the oven
Once the cheese melts into the veggie ground mix, I place it in a 9 x 9 inch tray that is sprayed with cooking spray. Then, I spread on the mashed sweet potatoes with a spatula and sprinkle a generous amount of paprika on top. Then, I place it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350ºF. Once you take it out of the oven, you have a delicious, vegan sweet potato shepherd’s pie!
If you want more healthy vegan dinner recipes, try my walnut lentil meatloaf!
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie (V, DF, GF)
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes peeled, cut, boiled, and mashed
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped into tiny pieces or minced
- 1 pack yves veggie ground beef (or any other vegan ground meat)
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 can corn (I used the peaches and cream canned corn)
- 1/4 cup Nafsika’s Garden shredded cheese – Pizza Flavour (any vegan cheese works!)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika, sprinkled on top
For the sweet potatoes:
- Fill up a pot with water, and let the water come to a boil (boil on high heat).
- While waiting for the water to boil, peel, rinse, and cut up 2 medium sized sweet potatoes in cubes. Once water comes to a boil, toss in cubed sweet potatoes and let boil for about 20 minutes, or until you can pierce a fork through the potatoes.
- Turn off the heat, drain water from the pot, and add in 1 tbsp of vegan butter and salt to the potatoes in the pot.With a potato masher or a fork, mash up the potatoes, butter and salt.
- Once mashed, set aside in pot and begin cooking the veggie filling.
For the Veggie ground meat:
- Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium-sized pan, toss in minced garlic, and cook over medium heat. Cook garlic for about 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Then, add in frozen peas and corn and let cook for about 5-10 minutes, until peas are thawed out.
- Add in Yves veggie ground round and break up with a wooden spoon until well dispersed with the veggies.
- Add in salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until veggie meat becomes a dark brown.
- Once cooked, add in vegan shredded cheese and mix together until the cheese melts.
- Turn off the heat, and set aside.
For Shepherd's Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch glass dish with cooking spray and pour in veggie ground meat mixture and pat down so that it is even and flat.
- Next, add in mashed sweet potatoes and flatten with a spatula. Add a generous amount of paprika on top of your sweet potatoes sweet potatoes, and put in the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, slice, and serve! Enjoy 🙂