I think it’s safe to say I have a love affair with breakfast foods. Who couldn’t? There are so many possibilities when it comes to choosing what you want to eat for breakfast. Eggs? Oatmeal? Toast? I decided to take my toast up a notch and make some VEGAN french toast that is a great, nutritious start to anyones day, and takes under 10 minutes to make!
I love regular french toast made with eggs, but I love exploring and experimenting different possibilities and ways to cook certain meals. I was afraid this recipe was not going to turn out well, but using Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal as an egg replacement worked perfectly!
The first thing I did was put two slices of Food For Life cinnamon raisin bread (you can use any bread of your choice! This bread is just delicious for french toast, in my opinion!) and put them in the toaster. Then, I put 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal in a bowl and added 2 tablespoons of hot water, mixed it together, and let it sit for 5 minutes. In another bowl, I added 3/4 cup almond milk in a plate, added a dash of cinnamon, and then added in the flax egg. I then mixed everything up, and made sure no clumps were left. I then took out a frying pan, sprayed it with cooking spray, and put the pan on the burner. My toast was ready, and I dunked in the first slice into the liquid mixture, then coated one side with hemp hearts and placed that side down on the pan and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes. I then flipped it with a spatula, coated that side with hemp hearts and let it cook for another 3 minutes, then transferred it to a plate. I repeated the cooking steps for the next slice of toast.
The hemp heart crust is totally optional, however I found it gave it a nice extra crunch, and looked pretty cool, IMO.
I then topped one slice of toast with homemade strawberry and blueberry jam and fresh blueberries, and the other with peanut butter, banana, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
Don’t forget to tag me in your recipe recreations on Instagram @riris_recipes ! <3
Vegan French Toast (V)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 slices of bread (any toast bread of your choice!)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 tbsp hot water)
- Handful of Hemp Hearts
- Prepare flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flax meal and 2 tbsp hot water in a bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Toast bread.
- In another bowl, add 3/4 cup almond milk and cinnamon. Add in flax egg and mix well until no clumps remain.
- Take a frying pan and spray with cooking spray and put on oven on medium-high heat.
- Soak one side of bread in liquid mixture, then flip and soak other side.
- Optional step: Lightly coat wet toast in hemp hearts
- Place toast on pan and let cook on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip.
- Let cook on other side for another 3 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a plate and repeat steps 5-8 for other slice of toast.
- Top with peanut butter, maple syrup, jam, fresh berries, etc. and enjoy!