Vegan mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. And there’s no other way to start off this blog post except addressing the fact that the world has been going through a lot lately. With all the stress and anxiety going around, there is no better time than now to spread positivity and good vibes to others, and to make sure we put our mental and physical health as a top priority.
One way to stay positive and happy is to make the foods you love. Some may be craving some comfort food. For me, that’s some mac and cheese 🙂
Ingredients you will need
For this recipe, you will need one box of pasta (your choice), and some frozen spinach nuggets, or fresh spinach. If you use fresh spinach, I suggest adding about 5 cups since it will become very minimal once its cooked. If you use spinach nuggets, add about 5-6 of them. You will also need some boiled and chopped up broccoli, your favourite vegan cheese, and some spices. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder and garlic cloves, and some nutritional yeast. And that’s it! There is nothing better than a simple recipe that tastes delicious, am I right?
Pasta tips for your mac and cheese
I made this mac and cheese with some pasta (I prefer the mini shell pasta or the elbow macaroni for mac and cheese because the cheese usually gets melty in them and is basically a party in your mouth – you’ll thank me later.
Which type of cheese to use for this vegan mac and cheese
I used Nafsika’s garden vegan cheese. This is my all time favourite cheese. It melts so well and tastes just like dairy cheese. They have so many flavour options and are also a local brand to me, so it is definitely a brand worth supporting.
This recipe is super easy to make, and also has some greens packed in there so you’ll be getting your dose of veggies while having a warm, comforting, meal. Another delicious comforting meal is my vegan one-pot veggie, bean, and barley recipe.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 box pasta (any will do!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, to heat up pan
- 6 cubes frozen spinach nuggets, or about 4 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked/boiled broccoli chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 block Nafsika's garden Gouda cheese (the entire block is 200 g)
- 1 bag Nafsika's garden shredded cheddar cheese (the entire bag is 200 g)
- optional add-ins: sautéed mushrooms or you can substitute kale instead of spinach!
- Boil/cook pasta in a pot, as directed on package.
- In another large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add in garlic and frozen spinach. Let cook until spinach is no longer frozen (or is cooked well if using fresh).
- Once spinach is cooked, add the cooked pasta to the spinach pan and stir everything in.
- Add chopped spinach to the pan and add spices.
- Once all ingredients are well incorporated, add in the shredded Gouda and cheddar cheese from Nafsika’s Garden.
- Mix until all the cheese is well incorporated, then place a lid over the pan to let the cheese melt for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and stir once more to ensure cheese has become sticky and is the consistency you’d like.
- Once it’s cooked, serve it on a plate and enjoy!
**This post was not sponsored by any brands, I just love this cheese and wanted to share this recipe with you all (and support a local business!) 🙂