These easy shredded tofu tacos will be your go-to for weeknight dinners! They are ready in just 30 minutes, packed with flavour and protein, and are so incredibly easy to make. The combination of flavours is absolutely delicious, and they make the perfect leftovers for lunch the next day.
Ingredients needed to make your easy shredded tofu tacos
- Extra Firm Tofu. The main ingredient, the star of the recipe! I love using extra firm tofu for this so that it is easy to shred and is more dense.
- Cornstarch. This will help when cooking the tofu in the oven to make it more crispy.
- Olive Oil. This is mixed in with the cornstarch when cooking the tofu in the oven.
- Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos. To add more flavour to your shredded tofu.
- Worcestershire Sauce. This will be mixed in with the shredded tofu to add more delicious flavour!
- BBQ Sauce. I love using Fody BBQ sauce because it’s made for sensitive stomachs! However you can use any BBQ sauce of your choice.
- Maple Syrup. I love adding a little bit of sweetness to balance out the flavour of the tofu.
- Spices. I use a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, and paprika.
- Onions and Peppers. These are the veggies I used to add to my tacos, but you can use any vegetable you’d like!
- Optional toppings. You can add some vegan cheese, guacamole, or parsley to top these tacos.
Tips on making the best shredded tofu tacos
- Use extra firm tofu and shred with standing/box grater. This will be much easier to shred your tofu since using a handheld grater can be tiring on your hands. I would not recommend shredding the tofu with your hands since the pieces will be uneven.
- Cook your tofu in the same pan you sautéed your onions and peppers. I like to cook my onions separately, then the peppers. Once my tofu is done, I love to add it back to that pan. Firstly, is because there will be less dishes to wash! And second, because the tofu will absorb the flavours of the delicious veggies from the pan that were previously in there.
- Once the tofu has cooked, use a spatula to break up the pieces in your pan. The tofu will be very crispy once it comes out of the oven. When you add it to your frying pan, make sure to really break it apart so the tofu can absorb the sauces and spices and become full of flavour, while maintaining that crispiness!
How to store your shredded tofu tacos
Place any leftover shredded tofu and veggies in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to one week. I wouldn’t recommend freezing since it’s best to enjoy fresh for the week.
- If you want more delicious tofu recipes, you have to try my Vegan Double Stacked “Chicken” Sandwich! So easy to make and such a fun dinner recipe.
- Sticking with the tofu theme, make my Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl. Such a comforting and nourishing dish to make for the colder months ahead.
- And lastly a delicious recipe to pair with these tacos is my Creamy Vegan Avocado Hummus. A fun take on hummus and guacamole!
Easy Shredded Tofu Tacos
- 5 small pitas
- 1 block extra firm tofu, 454 g
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 small onion, sliced (to top your tacos)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (to top your tacos)
- Guacamole or fresh parsley, optional to top
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse and dry your block of tofu and squeeze out any excess liquid with a rag or a tofu press.
- Grate your tofu block and place in a bowl. Add in cornstarch and olive oil, mix well, then transfer to a lined baking dish. Spread out shredded tofu evenly and place in the oven for 20 minutes, this will make your shredded tofu very crispy!
- In the meantime, take a medium-sized pan and drizzle some olive oil. Cook on medium heat your sliced onions until translucent, then cook your sliced bell peppers.
- Once your tofu has cooked, remove it from the oven and add to your pan that is coated with some olive oil. Add in all your sauces and spices, and stir well until everything is combined, about 10 minutes.
- Assemble your tacos by taking a pita, adding your shredded tofu, onions and bell peppers. Top with guacamole, vegan cheese, fresh lime or parsley and enjoy!