The best healthy vegan banana bread. Made with only 11 ingredients and takes 10 minutes to whip together?! Count me in! This banana bread is so healthy, soft and chewy yet crunchy from the walnuts, and made with good-for-you ingredients. This is the perfect snack to meal prep for your week so you always have a delicious snack on hand!
Ingredients you’ll need for this healthy vegan banana bread and any substitutions
- All-Purpose Flour. This is the best type of flour to use for this recipe. I wouldn’t recommend any other type of flour since I’ve tried it with whole wheat and I found it to be a little too dry.
- Bananas. I love using very ripe bananas because they add an extra little bit of sweetness and they don’t go to waste! When in doubt with ripe bananas, always, ALWAYS, make banana bread.
- Ground Flax Seeds. These will be mixed with water to create a flax egg. You can try to also use a chia egg, but I personally prefer the way the texture and taste turns out with a flax egg.
- Melted Vegan Butter. This adds such a delicious flavour and I find personally makes it taste like a bakery style banana bread. It makes the texture so pillowy soft and delicious! You can swap this for coconut oil, but I would strongly recommend the melted butter, the flavour is game changing!
- Maple Syrup. This is the only sweetener in this loaf besides the bananas!
- Almond Milk. You can use any other plant milk you prefer.
- Chocolate Chips. Because it wouldn’t be banana bread without some chocolate.
- Walnuts. I love adding this in because it adds such a delicious crunch to this soft, sweet banana loaf.
- Vanilla Extract. For some added flavour.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda. To make this beautiful banana bread rise and become fluffy!
Tips on how to make this delicious healthy banana bread
- Mash your bananas on a flat surface. Normally I mash my bananas in my mixing bowl, but mashing them on a flat plate is so much easier! I tried it out for the first time with this recipe and have officially been convinced. It’s so much easier to get a grip on your bananas that you’re mashing, and cuts the time in half.
- Add all wet ingredients together first. Whisk all wet ingredients together first before adding the wet.
- Add some extra walnuts and chocolate chips on top of the banana bread before baking. You’ll have the chocolate and walnuts in the loaf, but adding those extra walnut pieces and chocolate chips adds some extra flavour to the loaf.
- Did you know? This banana bread can also be turned into muffins! Simply add an extra 2 tbsp of melted vegan butter and bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes or until golden brown! They make the perfect snack to grab and go.
How to store this banana bread
Place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. You can freeze this loaf for up to one month.
- Still on a banana kick? You’ll love my No Bake Banana Bread Energy Balls they are the perfect snack to have on hand for those busy days.
- If you want another amazing fruity loaf recipe, you will be obsessed with this Easy Vegan Apple Loaf. So easy to make and amazing as a snack or dessert.
- Feeling a little more decadent? You will be drooling over my Fudgy Vegan Avocado Brownies. Healthy and so indulgent, you won’t believe how easy these are to make (made in a food processor!)
The Best Healthy Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 handful chocolate chips, plus extra to top loaf before baking
- 1 handful chopped walnuts, plus extra to top loaf before baking
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray or line a loaf pan with cooking spray/parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare your flax egg by mixing 2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 6 tbsp warm water. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- On a flat plate or cutting board, mash 2 very ripe bananas with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add all wet ingredients together (including mashed banana) and whisk well.
- Add in all dry ingredients and whisk well until combined. Use a spatula if needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl if any flour/dry ingredients remain.
- Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts with a spatula.
- Pour banana bread batter into lined loaf pan and bake at 350ºF for 1 hour or until top of loaf begins to crack. You can take a toothpick and see if it comes out dry, this means the loaf is done!
- Take out from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting a slice and enjoying.