If you can only make one cookie for the holiday season, let it be these vegan hot chocolate cookies! They are insanely chewy, decadent, and have an incredible melted marshmallow centre. You won’t be able to just have one of these cookies! They are so simple to make, take 12 minutes to bake and will be the star of the dessert table!
Ingredients needed to make these hot chocolate cookies
- Melted Vegan Butter. This is what makes the cookies super soft and chewy.
- Packed Brown Sugar. The brown sugar helps to make the cookies spread when they’re baking!
- White Granulated Sugar. For some added sweetness, of course.
- Flax Eggs. You can make two flax eggs by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl.
- Vanilla Extract. For some added flavour.
- Cocoa Powder. To make these cookies extra chocolatey!
- All-Purpose Flour. Use the spoon and level method when measuring the flour so they turn out fluffy and soft!
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda. To make these cookies become fluffy in the oven!
- Chocolate chips. Because they just wouldn’t be the same without them.
- Vegan Marshmallows. You can use the mini marshmallows, or cut up the jumbo marshmallows. If you use this, you can cut them into about 6 even pieces, or the perfect size that will fit into your cookie dough.
Can these be made gluten-free?
I personally have not tried using gluten-free flour to make these, but a 1:1 flour should definitely still give the same result when making these cookies!
Tips on how to make the best vegan hot chocolate cookies
- Use a hand mixer! This is the best option to using a hand whisk because it helps to blend the sugars with the melted butter. It also helps to evenly combine the cocoa powder and flour when you mix it together. Using a whisk will also be more difficult when you add the flour since the dough is somewhat thick, so your best option is a mixer! Using a stand mixer would also work just as well!
- Refrigerate your dough! I know refrigerating the dough is not ideal when we’re in a pinch to make cookies, but it’s only 30 minutes and the cookies will turn out so much better! They will spread a little too much if the dough is not chilled, so I highly recommend chilling the dough! You can refrigerate it for one hour if you’d like, but the dough will not spread out as much and you will have a cookie that is smaller in width, but more puffy in height!
- Use a 3 tablespoon-sized cookie scooper. You can definitely use a smaller size, but just be sure to adjust the size and quantity of the marshmallows you will be placing into the dough. I prefer a 3 tablespoon cookie scooper because it gives these large, beautifully-sized cookies!
How to store your hot cocoa cookies
Place these cookies in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for one week. You can also freeze these for up to one month!
- If you’re looking for more easy holiday recipes, you will love my Chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies! So simple to make and a definite crowd-pleaser!
- An absolute must-make for the holidays in my house are my Chewy Vegan Gingerbread Cookies. They are so fun to decorate and everyone will love these!
- My Vegan Holiday Chocolate Bark is fool-proof and guaranteed to be devoured at your next gathering! It’s no-bake and can be made with whatever other toppings you’d like!
Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds and 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spoon and level method
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 handful vegan marshmallows, to place in cookie (can use mini marshmallows or jumbo marshmallows)
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare your flax egg and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream together your melted vegan butter, packed brown sugar and white sugar.
- Add in flax eggs, vanilla, and cocoa powder and mix with a hand mixer.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, and flour and mix until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Cover your bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. I would not recommend skipping this step otherwise your cookies will spread too much!
- Once refrigerated, use a 3 tbsp-sized cookie scooper and scoop your dough. Place the dough in your hand, flatten it then place a handful of marshmallows into the dough. You can also use jumbo marshmallows and cut them into smaller pieces. Pinch the dough together, roll it into a ball ensuring no marshmallows are exposed, then place on your lined baking tray. Repeat for remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until cookies have spread out, but are not too flat. Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit for 5-10 minutes. They will flatten slightly, this is normal! Once they're cooled, store in a container or enjoy right away!