These easy vegan burritos will be your next go to meal prep recipe you’ll be making on repeat! They are high in protein from beans and plant-based veggie ground meat, and packed with veggies. These vegan burritos are ready in 30 minutes and make the perfect lunch or dinner.
Ingredients needed to make these easy vegan burritos
- Olive Oil. This will be used when cooking your veggies.
- Frozen peas and carrots. I used peas and carrots, but you can use any vegetable you like!
- Shallots. For some added flavour.
- Red Onion.
- Zucchini. I love using fresh zucchini, but you can definitely use frozen too!
- Red Pepper. I also use a fresh red pepper, but you can use any other veggie you have on hand that you love.
- Spices. This is a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, turmeric, paprika, and an herb spice.
- Veggie ground meat. You can use one packet veggie ground of choice.
- Beans. You can use a can of your choice! I love using either lentils, black beans or red kidney beans.
- Salsa. Optional but adds a nice flavour.
- Tortillas. You can use any type of tortilla you like or burrito if you want to make them bigger.
- Optional add-ins: Rice, avocado, vegan cheese, etc.
Tips on making your burritos
- Cook your frozen veggies first. If you’re doing a mix of fresh and frozen, add the frozen vegetables first to give them more time to cook.
- Add the veggie ground meat and beans last. Once your veggies are almost completely cooked, I like to add in my plant-based ground meat so it can cook for about 10 minutes since it does not need much time to cook. The beans are added in last just to let it marinate in the flavours and not get too cooked.
- Pan-fry the burritos after assembling. I love doing this because the tortilla becomes crispy while the inside is soft. Not only that, but it helps to keep the burrito sealed, which is especially great if you’re meal prepping these and keeping them in the fridge all week. No one wants their burrito to come apart in the fridge!
How to store your high protein burritos
These burritos last in the fridge for up to one week. You can also freeze them for up to one month.
- If you’re looking for more delicious wrap recipes, you will be obsessed with my Chickpea “egg” Salad Wraps! They require no cooking time and are packed with protein!
- Another satisfying and incredible recipe is my Vegan Savoury Hand Pies (Panzerotti). Packed with protein and so comforting.
- Craving some pasta? My Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Sun-dried Tomatoes is sure to satisfy!
Easy Vegan Burritos (High Protein)
These easy vegan burritos will be your next go to meal prep recipe you'll be making on repeat! They are high in protein from beans and plant-based veggie ground meat, and packed with veggies. These vegan burritos are ready in 30 minutes and make the perfect lunch or dinner.
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil to drizzle in pan
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salad and herb spice
- Water as needed, if veggies begin to stick
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 package veggie ground, 340 g pack
- 1 can bean of choice, rinsed and drained I used lentils – 540ML can
- 8 Tortillas
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil to drizzle in frying pan (when frying assembled burritos)
- In a large pan on medium-high heat, drizzle some olive oil and add in your frozen veggies and let cook until thawed out slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in all your other vegetables, spices, and salsa and let cook for about 15-20 minutes, until all veggies are soft and can be pierced with a fork. Add in some water as needed if vegetables start to stick to the pan.
- Add your package of veggie ground meat and break up the veggie meat with your spatula. Let cook for another 10 minutes. Add in your beans last and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Set your veggie/meat mixture aside and prepare your tortillas. Place one tortilla on a plate/board, then scoop about 2-3 tbsp of the veggie mixture into your tortilla. Don't overstuff so that you can still roll it up into a burrito. Once rolled, place on a dish. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Take a pan and drizzle with some olive oil and set to medium-high heat. Place your burritos folded side down on the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until golden and flip burrito over so the other side can become golden and crispy. Transfer burrito to a plate and repeat for other burritos.
- Before enjoying, you can top these burritos with some extra salsa or sauce of choice. You can even top it with some avocado! Enjoy!
How to store: Place in a container and keep in the fridge for up to one week. They can also be kept in the freezer for up to one month.
1 thought on “Easy Vegan Burritos (High Protein)”