Healthy chocolate covered date hearts are the cutest and most delicious vegan Valentine’s Day dessert. They also double as a naturally sweetened dessert you can give to someone to really show them how much you love them. Made with 4 simple ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes!
Ingredients needed to make these chocolate covered date hearts
- Dates. Your whole dates can be pitted or not. If they have a pit, simply remove it when you split it in half.
- Chocolate Chips. To dip your dates in!
- Coconut Oil. To help the chocolate melt well and make it smooth.
- Flaky Salt. To top the chocolate covered dates. This is optional but helps to bring out the sweetness of the chocolate!
Tips on making your chocolate covered dates
- Press to flatten your dates. When you split your date in half, only split it halfway down the middle. Then, press on it slightly so it’s flattened and looks more like a heart.
- Optional tip: you can stuff some peanut butter in the middle of your date before dipping it in chocolate! It would definitely taste delicious, so you can try this!
- Note: You can cut your date in half then close it back to dip in the chocolate rather than shaping it into a heart shape! It is optional to shape it as a heart, but definitely looks cute!
How to store your chocolate covered dates
Place these dates in the freezer for up to one month. Before eating, ensure to let them thaw out for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Try making my incredible Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Bread! Easy to make, so soft and moist, and makes the perfect snack or dessert.
- If you’re looking for another healthy sweet and salty dessert, you will fall in love with my Healthy No Bake Peanut Butter Truffles.
- Easy Vegan Chocolate bark. That’s it. If you’re looking for it, this is it. Easy to make, can add any additional toppings you’d like, and it’s chocolate. What’s not to love!?
Healthy Chocolate Covered Date Hearts
- 10 whole dates, with or without the pit (if they are not pitted, simply remove them)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Flaky salt, to top
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt your chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave in 25-30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until fully melted. Set aside.
- Separate your dates in half, but only halfway down the date. This will help to keep the heart shape. Remove the pit if your dates are not pitted.
- Dip your dates in the melted chocolate evenly on both sides and place on your baking tray. Repeat for all of your dates. Place in the freezer to harden for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer, top with flaky sea salt and enjoy!