Healthy vegan chocolate peanut butter hearts are the perfect Valentine’s Day treat for you to enjoy with someone you love (or just yourself!). They’re vegan and have a smooth peanut butter centre, along with a crunch from crushed peanuts! These chocolate peanut butter hearts take only 35 minutes to make, and you only need four simple ingredients!
If you want an easy Valentine’s Day dessert that requires minimal time and ingredients, this is your recipe! Even if it isn’t Valentine’s Day, these chocolate peanut butter hearts are the perfect way to tell someone you love them (or tell yourself). If you don’t have heart-shaped molds, you can use any shape! They can be chocolate peanut butter squares, or you can make them as cups. Whatever your heart desires! If you choose to make them as cups, you can use the circular muffin molds to make some vegan no bake berry oat cups too! They also require minimal ingredients and no baking required!
Ingredients needed to make these healthy vegan chocolate peanut butter hearts
- Chocolate. The star of the show (besides the peanut butter). You can use any brand of chocolate you’d like! I prefer a semi-sweet taste, but you can use dark chocolate, milk, etc.
- Coconut Oil. This will be added with the chocolate while you melt it. It makes the chocolate smoother and shiny when it is melted.
- Natural Smooth Peanut Butter. This is the second star of the show! I used smooth peanut butter since it’s easier to spread onto the chocolate. I have not tried using crunchy peanut butter because smooth gives it the best consistency.
- Unsalted Peanuts. For an added crunch!
Tips to make perfect chocolate peanut butter hearts
- Melt your chocolate in increments & with your coconut oil. Melting chocolate in the microwave is the easiest way to do it! Make sure you add your chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it in 25-30 second increments. Stir in between each increment until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Add bottom layer of chocolate and freeze first. If you don’t freeze the bottom layer of chocolate, your peanut butter will get stuck to the chocolate and be very hard to spread. Make sure you freeze the base chocolate layer for 10-15 minutes before adding your peanut butter.
- Press peanuts into peanut butter. If you don’t push the peanuts into the peanut butter, the top chocolate layer will be uneven. Use your hand or a spoon to push them into the peanut butter.
How to store your chocolate peanut butter hearts
Place these chocolate peanut butter hearts in an airtight container in the freezer. They will last up to one month. Before enjoying, leave out at room temperature for 10 minutes to thaw.
Craving more sweets?
- You will love The BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies! A classic recipe turned vegan. They are so easy to make, so don’t sleep on this recipe!
- If you’re looking for a healthier but still delicious recipe, these Fluffy Vegan Banana Muffins (GF) are for you!
- Nothing beats these incredible Vegan Apple Walnut Muffins with Streusel Topping. So good any time of the year, and they taste like they were bought from a bakery!
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Hearts
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp natural smooth peanut butter
- Handful Crushed peanuts optional
- In a bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil and melt in the microwave in 25-30 second increments. Stir between each increment until fully melted and smooth.
- Add about 1 tbsp of melted chocolate in silicone heart molds, and make sure the chocolate completely covers the mold. Repeat for remaining hearts, then place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once first chocolate layer has hardened, add 1 tbsp of peanut butter to each heart mold and spread in an even layer. Press crushed peanuts into peanut butter (optional) and place back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Top peanut butter layer with remaining chocolate and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove chocolate hearts from silicone mold, let thaw in room temperature for about 10 minutes before eating and enjoy!
Note: Before enjoying, leave out at room temperature for 10 minutes.