Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are the absolute BEST oatmeal cookies ever! They are melt-in-your-mouth chewy, so soft, and lightly sweetened. They are healthy oatmeal cookies that you can enjoy as a mid-morning snack, or have these cookies for dessert! These peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are made with oats and oat flour only, so they can be gluten-free if you buy certified gluten-free oats!
These chewy vegan peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a mouthful to say and eat! But really, these cookies have easily become one of my favourite cookies I’ve ever made. They are SO chewy and soft they melt in your mouth! They have such a beautiful hint of peanut butter mixed with oats, and a delicious aftertaste of chocolate. You also get a hint of a salt flavour mixed with the chocolate, which helps bring out the sweetness in the chocolate chips. They’re made with good for you ingredients which is why I love having them as a mid morning snack. Plus, they are so easy to make and I know you will all love them!
Oatmeal cookies are such a classic cookie, just like my irresistible very Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies! Chewy, sweet, chocolatey, and so delicious!
Ingredients needed to make the best vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Oats. The main dry ingredient of these cookies! This and the oat flour is what binds the wet ingredients together.
- Oat Flour. You do not need to buy oat flour! What I love to do is take a food processor or blender and blend about half a bag of oats and put the oat flour in a jar so I have it handy for any recipe I need to make. You can blend more oats to have extra oat flour for other recipes (or to remake these cookies!) or blend enough oats to just make these cookies.
- Flax Seeds. The flax is key to making your vegan flax eggs. This recipe requires two.
- Maple Syrup. To naturally sweeten your cookies! Maple syrup is my go-to sweetener and it just tastes amazing, so I love using it in almost everything I bake.
- Applesauce. Another great natural sweetener to these cookies. You can buy it or make it yourself which I love doing as well!
- Peanut Butter. This gives the cookie dough a creamy texture and a delicious hint of peanut flavour to these cookies.
- Brown Sugar. I add a little bit of brown sugar to sweeten the cookies and it’s also what gives these cookies an amazing texture/consistency.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda. To help the cookies grow and fluff up while they cook!
- Chocolate Chips. Because it isn’t a cookie if there aren’t any chocolate chips in it.
- Flaky or Chunky Salt. To bring out the flavour of the chocolate.
Tips on making perfect chewy peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Blend oats first to make oat flour. If you do not have oat flour on hand, make sure you use a food processor or blender to make the flour first. Place oat flour in a bowl and set aside to use in the recipe.
- Add and mix all wet ingredients first. You don’t need a food processor or stand/hand mixer to make these cookies. You can just use a bowl and spatula. Add in all wet ingredients together and stir well so that no chunks remain before adding in dry ingredients.
- Slightly press cookies down before baking. These cookies do not get very wide when they bake, so it’s important you press these cookies down with your hand before baking them so they can still be thick, but slightly flat once cooked.
- Don’t forget the flaky salt! Don’t add too much salt otherwise the cookies will be extremely salty, but make sure to add a few flakes.
What can I use as a substitute in this cookie recipe?
Don’t have any applesauce? No problem! Simply add 1/4 cup mashed banana to your mix. It will have more of a banana-like flavour to it of course, but it does not alter the taste of the cookie that much.
You can also swap coconut sugar for brown sugar if you don’t have any. Also, any nut/seed butter would work for this oatmeal cookie recipe. As for the other ingredients like the oats and oat flour, they should not be swapped since I have not tested it with any other ingredients. Plus, this is an oatmeal cookie recipe, so I prefer using oats and oat flour to be true to the oatmeal cookie taste and texture.
How to store your vegan peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Make sure to place these cookies in an airtight container right after baking them. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes, then store them immediately to ensure they stay soft and chewy. You can keep them out in the kitchen at room temperature for up to one week.
If you want to freeze these cookies, you can freeze them for up to one month. Before enjoying, let thaw out at room temperature and microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- flaky salt, to sprinkle on cookies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare flax egg by mixing 2 tbsp flax seeds and 6 tbsp warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients: flax eggs, maple syrup, applesauce, and peanut butter and stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Next, add in all dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, oats, and oat flour and stir well to incorporate. Once well mixed, fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop dough onto a lined baking tray and lightly press down on each cookie to slightly flatten.
- Place cookies in the oven and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and lightly sprinkle with flaky salt while they are still hot. Let cool for 10-20 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container once cooled. Enjoy!
*I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post makes me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!*