The perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies are here and take less than 30 minutes to make. Did I mention they’re also made with minimal ingredients and are super chewy? These cookies are one of the easiest cookies to make and take less than 30 minutes to prep and bake! They are 100% vegan but are still chewy, chocolatey, sweet, and comforting. You basically need to make these ASAP. Thank me later.
Ingredients you’ll need for these chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies
For the wet, you will need some vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), vanilla extract, and some water to make your flax egg. For the dry ingredients, you will need some brown sugar and white sugar, flax seeds, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Lastly, you will need some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate from a chocolate bar!
Tips on how to make these chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies perfect
- Cream butter and sugars. Using a hand mixer, cream your melted butter with white and brown sugar.
- Add in flax egg after creaming butter and sugar. After creaming butter and sugar, add in your flax egg. Then, add in your vanilla extract and salt and mix well with a hand or stand mixer.
- Add in all-purpose flour. Whether you are using a hand or stand mixer, add in the flour. You can choose to add all of the flour at once or mix it in a bit at a time.
- Add in the baking powder after your flour. I like to add this in after adding the flour.
- Fold in chocolate chips. You want your chocolate chips to stay whole, so fold them in with a spatula.
- Refrigerate your cookies for at least 1-2 hours before baking! This REALLY makes a difference in the cookie. Not refrigerating your cookies will make them spread too much. Letting them chill for one to two hours (preferably two) is best because it allows the flavour to develop and will make them spread just enough, while staying chewy and soft.
How to store your chocolate chip cookies
Place cookies in an airtight container and keep out on your counter in room temperature for one week. You can also leave these cookies in the fridge for one week, but they should be reheated in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to be enjoyed warm. If you would like to freeze them, you can place them in an airtight container in the freezer for about one month.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! They are super easy to make and so yummy! They basically melt in your mouth, and are the perfect, chewy texture that every cookie should have! If you’re looking for more delicious vegan desserts, you will love my vegan gluten-free chocolate zucchini loaf!
Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, prepare one flax egg and set aside (1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp hot water).
- In a medium-sized bowl using a hand mixer, blend the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth and well combined.
- Add in flax egg, vanilla, salt and baking soda and mix again with a hand mixer to combine.
- Add in flour and mix with your hand mixer or spatula until flour is thoroughly mixed into the dough. Once combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Leave cookie dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a lid and let chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours. This step should definitely not be skipped!
- Once your cookies have chilled, line a baking tray with parchment paper and use a cookie scooper to place cookies on the tray, about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Top with a few more chocolate chips and place in the oven for 9-10 minutes, or until edges begin to brown slightly (my oven is strong, so 9 minutes is the optimal time for me).
- Once they are done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool in the tray for about 2-3 minutes. Cookies will look slightly raw but still need to set!
- Once cookies have set, let cool for another 10 minutes, then lightly sprinkle with flaky salt. Once cookies are not too hot, transfer to an airtight container or enjoy right away!
How to freeze: Place cookies in an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to one month.