Vegan Apple Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel is the perfect way to say hello to fall! This coffee cake is so fluffy and has a gooey and sweet streusel filling that will make your mouth water! Made with delicious ingredients like apples, brown sugar, butter, flour, and walnuts, this recipe is the most cozy dessert that you can enjoy while the weather starts to cool down.
I truly believe there is nothing better than fall recipes. Whether sweet or savoury, they make you feel so cozy and warm! Just like this vegan apple coffee cake, my Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies give the same feeling! They are so delicious and can be enjoyed as a snack or dessert. I don’t know about you, but a dessert that can also be a snack is the best of both worlds as Hannah Montana would say!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this vegan apple coffee cake with cinnamon streusel
- Apples. The main ingredient for this coffee cake!
- Almond Milk. To help blend the dry with the wet ingredients.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This will react with the baking soda to help the cake rise and become extra fluffy!
- Vanilla Extract. For an added flavour boost.
- Vegan Butter. To make the cake extra soft and chewy when mixed with the dry ingredients.
- Applesauce. This acts as the ‘oil alternative’ ingredient.
- Brown Sugar. To add some sweetness to this cake.
- Cinnamon. Adds a hint of extra flavour that should not be skipped!
- All Purpose Flour. The main dry ingredient.
- Oats. This will be used to create the streusel filling.
- Crushed Walnuts. As a topping to your cake. Optional but highly recommended for an added crunch!
Tips on making the perfect apple coffee cake
- Peel and chop your apples first and set aside in a bowl. This process could take a little longer, so it is best to get it out of the way first! Since the rest of the recipe does not take very long, I did not soak the apples in water, so you can just set them aside as is until you’re ready to pour them into the batter.
- Mix all wet ingredients first. This is my preferred method of baking since you can ensure the wet ingredients and mixed well together and are perfectly combined before adding the dry ingredients.
- Use a hand mixer to blend ingredients together. You can also use a stand mixer, but I find it so much easier to use a stand mixer to combine the ingredients together. If you use a spatula, there can be chunks of flour that may remain in the bowl and end up not getting mixed into the batter.
- Fold in your apples with a spatula. You do not want to use a mixer for this step since you want the apples to stay as chunks in your cake.
- Press walnuts into the batter before baking. If you sprinkle the walnuts over the cake before placing it in the oven, they may fall out! Gently press them into the batter before baking it so they stay in place, making it easier to cut your cake once it has cooled down.
How can I store this vegan apple coffee cake?
You can place your coffee cake in a container in the fridge for up to one week. You can also freeze it for up to one month! I had a hard time making this cake last for more than three days in my house, it is seriously that good!
Vegan Apple Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel
Apple Coffee Cake
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
Cinnamon Streusel Filling
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup softened vegan butter
- ½ cup oats (rolled oats, quick oats, etc)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- extra cinnamon and crushed walnuts, to top the cake before baking
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9×9 inch pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Peel and dice two apples, then place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in almond milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Next, add in vanilla extract, melted butter, applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir together.
- Add in remaining dry ingredients and whisk together. Once well mixed, stir in apples with a spatula.
To make Cinnamon Streusel
- In another medium sized bowl, make your crumble. Mix together all ingredients with your hands until nice clumps form together.
- Pour 3/4 of the batter in your lined baking dish and spread out evenly. Then add in your crumble and spread out all over the batter. Add in remaining cake batter, spread out evenly and top with additional cinnamon and crushed walnuts.
- Let the cake bake at 350ºF for one hour, or until the top of the cake becomes golden brown and you can stick a toothpick in the cake and it comes out dry.
- Let cool for about 15-20 minutes before removing cake from the baking dish.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
*I am an amazon affiliate partner, and any purchase you make on this post makes me earn a commission. Thank you for your support!*
1 thought on “Vegan Apple Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel”