Easy vegan Belgian waffles will be your go-to recipe for weekend breakfasts! Ready in just 20 minutes, they require minimal ingredients and are so incredibly fluffy! These Belgian waffles have a soft, fluffy inside with a crispy exterior. Perfect for topping with some fruits and sweetener of choice!
I absolutely love breakfast food. There are so many options like pancakes, hash browns, croissants, bacon (I love vegan bacon SO much) french toast, and waffles (!) to name a few. I feel like there is also a big debate on if people love either waffles or pancakes more. Personally, I am a pancake girl, but when it comes to these Belgian waffles, consider me a converted waffle fan. These waffles are so thick and crispy on the outside, yet fluffy on the inside, what’s not to love!?
Ingredients to make these easy Belgian waffles
- All Purpose Flour. I have not tested any other flour for this recipe, but I personally find all purpose flour gives a nice, fluffy texture to these waffles.
- Flax eggs. Make this by combining ground flax seeds with warm water. I have not tried using a chia egg or any other substitutions, but I love the texture of a flax egg the best, and also love that it’s high in fibre and omega-3’s.
- Vanilla Extract. For some added flavour. Don’t skip out on this!
- Almond Milk. Or any plant milk of your choice. You can use a sweetened milk if you’d like a little more sweetness to your waffle, or unsweetened original if you prefer to keep it plain.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This will be mixed in with your almond milk to create vegan buttermilk!
- White Granulated Sugar. This helps to add more flavour to the waffles but also makes them more soft and fluffy!
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda. To help the waffles rise and become super fluffy!
- Vegan Butter. You can use salted or unsalted butter, it’s up to you! This really helps to provide that crispy outside of your waffles and give it a smooth, buttery taste.
- Pinch of Salt. For good measure! This also helps bring out the sweetness of the sugar!
- Blueberries. This is optional but such a great add-in! You can definitely add in some chocolate chips or other fruits of your choice!
Tips on making the perfect vegan Belgian waffles
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl together for 5 minutes. This will create your vegan buttermilk. It’s best to let this set for about 5 minutes before adding this to the rest of your ingredients to ensure the waffles stay fluffy.
- Add in baking powder and baking soda last! My mom taught me this trick, but whenever she is adding her dry ingredients, she always makes sure to add baking powder and baking soda last. She says this is what keeps whatever you’re making super fluffy, and it’s always worked for me and especially these waffles!
- Lastly, don’t overmix! You don’t want to overdo it and mix your batter too much. Make sure there is no flour remaining on the side of the bowl or any chunks, and stop mixing after that. You want your waffles to be as fluffy as possible!
How to store your Belgian waffles
Place these waffles in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for one week. You can also keep them in the freezer for up to one month! You can break them in half and reheat them in the toaster.
Craving more breakfast ideas?
- If you’re still in a breakfast mood, you will swoon over my Fluffy Vegan Blueberry Pancakes! So pillowy soft and delicious!
- If you’re looking for an on-the-go breakfast or a mid-morning snack, look no further than The Best Healthy Vegan Banana Bread! So easy to make, made with no refined sugar and absolutely delicious.
- If you could eat cookies as a meal, then let it be these Vegan Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies! Made with oats, apples, and no refined sugar, it’s basically the healthiest and easiest breakfast on-the-go!
Easy Vegan Belgian Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk, or any plant milk of choice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional add-in: blueberries
- In a small bowl, create your flax egg by combining 2 tbsp ground flax seeds and 6 tbsp warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add in apple cider vinegar and almond milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in remaining wet ingredients plus flax eggs to the apple cider vinegar and almond milk mixture. Whisk well.
- Add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Fold in your blueberries with a spatula if you choose to add them.
- Heat your waffle iron and spray with cooking spray or avocado/olive oil spray. Use a ladle to scoop your batter and pour into to the waffle iron. Leave about 1 inch of space between the edge of the waffle iron and your batter so there's space for the waffle to grow.
- Close the lid of the waffle iron and let cook for about 5 minutes or as per cooking directions of your waffle iron.
- Remove from waffle iron once cooked and enjoy!