Vegan white bean spinach burgers are the perfect summer food! Who doesn’t want to bite into a delicious, flavour-packed, and juicy burger? Made in just 35 minutes and with less than 10 ingredients, you’ll want these white bean burgers at every barbecue this summer.
Ingredients needed for your vegan white bean spinach burgers
- White Beans. Also called white cannellini beans, are what makes these veggie burgers high in protein and helps all the ingredients stick together.
- Flax Seeds. These act as the vegan egg replacer and help bind the ingredients all together, while also being high in Omega-3.
- Red Onion. The onion really adds a delicious flavour to the burger that shouldn’t be skipped!
- Garlic Cloves. For that
- Frozen or Fresh Spinach. To help you get in your veggies, you can add in fresh or frozen spinach, which adds a nice texture to the burgers.
- Tomato Paste. To give these white bean spinach burgers an extra flavour boost.
- Oat Flour. To balance out the wet ingredients to the dry. I have not tried adding any other type of flour in this recipe, but I think breadcrumbs or Panko would work just as well.
- Spices. Because what would a veggie burger be without any spices? I added a mix of salt, pepper, parsley, paprika, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and a dash of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Can I use another bean for this recipe?
Absolutely! You can substitute this recipe with black beans red kidney beans, or chickpeas. However, I have not tried this recipe with other beans. I would also not recommend trying this recipe with lentils since they are much smaller than other types of beans and can be harder to mash.
Tips on making the perfect white bean spinach burgers
- Mash your beans first. Use a fork and mash your rinsed beans in a bowl before adding in all your other ingredients. This will speed up the mixing process once you combine all the ingredients together to form your patties.
- Use a 1 cup sized measuring spoon to measure your burgers. I like to use a 1 cup measuring spoon and fill it halfway so that all burgers are uniform in size.
- Do not forget to put a little bit of oil in your measuring spoon! This will ensure that the patty will slide out easily and will not break.
- Lightly press on the patty when cooking it. Do not press the patty with your spatula too much when cooking it on the griddle/frying pan. You burger will fall apart since it is not meat.
How long will my white bean burgers last in the fridge?
You can store your vegan white bean burgers in the fridge for about 5-7 days. I would not recommend freezing them since beans are best when they are eaten fresh. To reheat, simply place in the microwave, oven, or reheat quickly in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil.
If you like this recipe, check out my quinoa salad recipe that is also perfect for summer!
Vegan White Bean Spinach Burgers (GF)
- 1 can (540 ml) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 small red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 cup frozen & thawed out spinach, 4 cubes – if using fresh, about 2 cups finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Rinse and drain white beans and pour into a bowl. Take a fork and mash the beans, leaving a few beans whole.
- Add flax eggs, chopped onion, garlic, spinach, tomato paste, oat flour, salt, pepper, and spices to the bowl. Use your hands and mix all ingredients together until you can form a patty with the mixture.
- Take a 1 cup measuring spoon and coat with olive oil. Fill the measuring spoon halfway with your burger mixture, then turn upside down and place in a tray. Repeat with remaining burger mixture.
- Heat a griddle (too 400ºF) or frying pan (medium-high heat) with olive oil and add burgers to griddle/pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on one side, then gently flip and cook on other for 4-5 min until crispy. Repeat for remaining burgers.
- Remove from heat, place on a plate and enjoy!