This vegan gluten-free chocolate zucchini loaf is, decadent, fudgy, and makes the most delicious snack! This loaf is refined sugar-free, and has a hidden veggie inside that you can’t taste! If you’re looking for a decadent and healthy chocolate dessert, look no further!
What you’ll need to make this vegan gluten-free chocolate zucchini loaf
In order to make this loaf, you’ll need one zucchini of course, cocoa powder, and some flax seeds. In addition, you will also need some coconut sugar and maple syrup to sweeten, as well as some almond milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla. As for the flour, you will be using almond and oat flour. This is what makes the loaf super fudgy and fluffy. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, don’t worry! All you’ll need is 1 cup of oats (rolled, quick, or whatever type of oats you have!) The remainder of the ingredients you’ll need is some vanilla, apple cider vinegar, walnuts, and chocolate chips!
What equipment can I use to make this loaf?
When making this zucchini loaf, I love to use my food processor. I would recommend a hand or stand mixer, and a food processor. A blender may also work, but I have not tried this method. I would also not recommend mixing this loaf by hand since there is a lot of chopping and blending required. I use my food processor because I first blend my oats to create oat flour, then set it aside in a small bowl. Then I shred my zucchini, leave it in my processor, and add in the remaining wet ingredients. If you are using a stand or hand mixer, you can grate your zucchini with a hand grater or a box grater, then transfer to your bowl.
Additionally, you will need a cheese cloth for this recipe. Zucchini’s are a very watery vegetable, so grating it and putting it directly in your recipe will not allow for a good consistency. Once you grate the zucchini, you will need to place it in a cheese cloth and squeeze out any excess liquid. You can squeeze it a few times to make sure there is not much liquid remaining, then place it back in a dry bowl and set it aside.
How do I store my chocolate zucchini loaf?
Once you make this loaf, you can slice it into pieces and transfer it to an airtight container. It can keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can freeze this chocolate zucchini loaf as well by keeping it in an airtight container for up to one month. Before enjoying, let it thaw out on the counter for about 15-30 minutes. You can place it in the microwave to reheat as well so it becomes extra soft!
This chocolate zucchini loaf is a dessert you need to make! It didn’t last more than a week in my house because of how soft, fudgy, and chocolatey it is.
If you’re looking for more easy vegan recipes, try my Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl!
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (or 1 medium-sized zucchini)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup oat flour (make your own by pulsing oats in a food processor!)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
- Additional chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray or line a loaf pan with cooking spray/parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg by adding 2 tbsp of flax seeds to 6 tbsp of warm water. Make sure all flax seeds are covered with water and set aside for 5 minutes to settle.
- Rinse and dry one zucchini. Shred in a food processor or hand grater. Place shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth over your kitchen sink or bowl and squeeze out any excess liquid. Once most of the liquid has been squeezed out, place shredded zucchini back in a dry bowl and set aside.
- If you do not have oat flour, measure 1 cup of oats, and pulse in a food processor or blender until oats form a flour-like texture. Pour oat flour in a bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, mixer, or using a hand mixer, add in all wet ingredients, including zucchini, flax eggs, melted coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla and mix together until well combined.
- Add in remaining dry ingredients including coconut sugar (or brown sugar), baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, oat flour, and almond flour and mix until well combined. Make sure no flour chunks remain on the side of the bowl. You can scrape down the bowl with a spatula to ensure all ingredients are mixed together.
- Once a soft dough forms, stir in your crushed walnuts and chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Pour batter into your loaf pan, top with additional chocolate chips, and let it bake in the oven for 1 hour at 350ºF, or until the top of the loaf begins to crack slightly, or a toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30-40 minutes. Once cooled, slice and enjoy!
Freezing options: Can freeze by placing loaf in an airtight container. Keeps for up to 1 month.
*Note: If you do not have coconut sugar, you can use brown sugar.
4 thoughts on “Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Loaf”